December 18, 2010

Creative Exercises

One of the things I loved about college was all the creative exercises we were given.  Now I will admit I didn't like every single one that we did, but some of the ones I initially hated the most were the ones that inspired me to push myself further than I thought I could go.  Now, I have been out of college for quite a while now and that led me to purchase a book to give me some ideas to get me going when I have hit a rut. 


Creative Sparks by Jim Krause

This is small book with a big impact.  First it's pages are very visually interesting, lots of color, different design styles which appeals to me a lot.  This book is filled with an abundance of advice for anyone thinking about or currently in the visual communications field as well as lots of creative exercises to get the juices flowing.  You can adapt many of the exercises to work for you, your style or medium.  I wouldn't just recommend this book for a visual artist, but I can understand many of the principles in this book being used by crafters, photographers and anyone who considers themselves to be in a creative field.  I mean, who doesn't want a little inspiration when you have hit that wall and don't know what to do next?

This book actually helped inspire me to create this blog, as well as other bloggers.  I actually took a photo of the page that hit me like a ton of bricks.  I wanted to invest in me, my creativity and further my knowledge of how to create in various mediums.  I am publicly making that commitment to myself.  This blog is to show off what I am doing as well as hold myself accountable, because I would honestly like to post at least 4 blogs per week.  That is pushing me to either post something I am working on, something that inspires me, something I want to try, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...